Monday, April 26, 2010

The Secret Of Kells

I felt so lucky this weekend. I found out that The Secret of Kells is playing at one of our theaters nearby! You might remember this film from the Best Animated Film category at the Oscars this year. It is only showing at a handful of theaters and I didn't think that we would get a chance to see it. I'm so glad that we did! It was absolutely wonderful.
Up ended up taking home the Oscar and, as much as I loved Up, The Secret of Kells was so much better. The story is sweet and inspiring, centering on the power of art and creativity. But it is the style that will take your breath away. Somehow it manages to be both simple and breathtaking at the same time. My boys, who are notorious squirmers during movies, sat completely still for the entire show.
As a children's movie, it was really refreshing to see a film with an uncluttered story that was not overly cute, maudlin or just plain obnoxious. No sarcasm or pop culture jokes. Just a very good story and gorgeous images from the very first frame to the last.
Whether or not you have little ones to take along, you should see this movie. If it's not playing anywhere nearby, add it to your Netflix que. I can't recommend it enough.

1 comment: